[M3devel] Renewed interest in Modula-3 in HP Labs

Daniel Alejandro Benavides D. dabenavidesd at yahoo.es
Sun Jun 3 18:51:51 CEST 2012

Hi all l
looking to support a c-backend we would need to know how much can we optimize the energy consumption of any backend CG or how long can we use M3CG in compilation time total (the result could be that we need to distribute precompiled form, see p. 7:
http://www.fdi.ucm.es/profesor/ricardo/ei2/crisis.pdf

).
This would be a rather good measure of the need of a Object code backend or not (like Gcc, or JVM one, or a translation based like Pascal first implementations were pascal manually machine coded). For instance HP had  HP3000 [1] with several measurements, as their "u-code" Interface was not open but proprietary so you couldn't get their compiler for A-L/SPL (contrary to pascal). I'm sure they have worked out in this problem as well as for newer machines (like for fpga reposition programs for VAXen and Alpha) but how much they will emulate in SW I don't know.
I write that because VAX is essentially translated to Alpha via M3CG via HW and equally in SW. I know they are producing VAX in FPGA, but don't know abut Alphas at all.
Thanks in advance

[1] R. P. Blake, “Exploring a Stack Architecture,” Computer, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 30–39, May 1977.