[M3devel] [M3commit] CVS Update: cm3

Mika Nystrom mika at async.caltech.edu
Wed Jun 6 18:18:08 CEST 2012

Jay K writes:

>7) Do folks out there really use the Modula-3/gcc optimizer=2C and notice i=
>t produces code that runs much faster?

If we are talking about turning on optimizations in the m3makefile, then the
answer is:

Yes!  At least with CM3 it makes a huge difference in runtime.  Without
the optimizer CM3-produced code runs far slower than PM3-produced code
(I've seen 3X I think.)  With it, CM3 can sometimes keep up.  Unless you
use a lot of TYPECASE or other constructs that have a much less efficient
implementation in the CM3 libraries than in the PM3 libraries.

    Mika