[M3devel] [M3commit] CVS Update: cm3

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Thu Jun 7 03:28:15 CEST 2012

 > Is cm3  working on LINUX_ALPHA? I have one ES40 working server with Gentoo Linux
 I don't think it does yet, but give me ssh access and I can most likely make it work pretty quickly.There is very very very little to porting these days.  The main thing is finding the jmpbuf size, and adding the target to various tables, describing at little or big endian, 32bit or 64bit, etc., but even that is often automatic, if it starts "alpha_" or  contains "64", it is assumed 64bit. If it contains "alpha", it is probably assumed little endian. If it contains "_linux", then it is assumed Linux, etc. The jmpbuf size we can just assume something big like 1k (that is a tremendous overkill). jmpbuf size should/will soon be eliminated as a factor in porting anyway.And then you just need to create a config file ALPHA_LINUX that includes("Alpha64.common") and "Linux.common" or such.  Does ALPHA_LINUX have a 32bit mode/ABI?Or is it all 64bit all the time?i.e.what does this do:echo > foo.cgcc -m32 foo.c  I had some Alphas but I've sold them all.I was given access to Alphas running Tru64 v4.something and v5.something and got that to work.But the "kernel" (Tru64 vs. Linux) and not the "processor architecture" (alpha, x86, sparc) are generally a larger concern, and Linux is really old hat at this point.  See..one day...we'll generate C (and maybe have cooperative suspend) and these questions will all just go away. The answer will be "of course, most likely, nothing special".   - Jay