[M3devel] AND (., 16_ff). Not serious - or so I hope!

Jay jay.krell at cornell.edu
Tue Jun 26 18:34:01 CEST 2012

>> > 128 limit
>>
>> I haven't read the code enough yet to verify that but you are probably right
>
> I was not right :), that call is incremental.

I looked for that aspect too but missed it. :(

>>  > ignoring everything over 16_FF
>>
>> Probably that is the responsibility/claim of the caller of GetChars.
>> If you want to be correct in the face of non-ASCII, you are probably obligated to call GetWideChars.
>> Perhaps raising an exception would be reasonable to signal the loss of data. Or something.
>> There is HasWideChars for you to check.
>

>> There is no encoding implied remember.
>> This isn't UTF8 data.
>

> It is not, but probably only way to solve this without exception is to make UTF8 "official" 8bit encoding :)

I'm torn on that. We'd have to consider ramifications like Text.Length vs buffer size requirements/expectations.

Is TEXT & its use abstracted enough to have been widened? Should we put it back and introduce WIDETEXT? That is essentially what C and C++ do. They are inconvenient for existing code but simple predictable make sense. Contrast with weird hybrid systems like Perl & Python for which I just can't get through the documentation and understand and predict how they work..

Java is in-between but also simple & predictable -- there being no narrow option other than array of byte, which is reasonable.