[M3devel] Simple change to WIDECHAR type

Daniel Alejandro Benavides D. dabenavidesd at yahoo.es
Fri Jun 29 17:47:50 CEST 2012

Hi all:
more important than a maximum length char type we need a minimum optimal char table size (and thus in word size so we can optimize).
Use WIDECHAR and move it towards moduli arithmetic of CHAR {0..255}, so you can select at RT a common base to represent your character system I/O
This happens in micro digital signal processor if you care output of such systems in practice. Also a terminal of characters is important to note for instance as a way of evaluating the speed of signal processor design. DEC had lot of devices like that so for instance to have a common interface to those systems is useful.
Many mainframes are still handled mostly by use of that device so, I guess is important for such system to support most types of encodings:
http://vt100.net/docs/vt510-rm/chapter8

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO/IEC_8859-5

P Zollo write an emulator for that device, so maybe we can test speed of character streaming with that.

Thanks in advance