[M3devel] LINUXLIBC6

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Thu May 17 01:40:53 CEST 2012

 LINUXLIBC6 is supported, but I'd really like to drop it.  The following are supported and work:
   I386_NT    I386_CYGWIN    I386_NETBSD    I386_FREEBSD    I386_LINUX    SPARC32_SOLARIS ?   The following I'd like to get rid of, but they are pretty cheap to carry along:   NetBSDi386 or somesuch     FreeBSD4      LINUXLIBC6       SOLgnu      SOLsun     You can cross build from any to any, and then leave the old stuff behind...     But heck, really, if we generate C, then targets largely drop away.    Not entirely, not without other changes.     cm3 knows very very little about any targets, mainly their word size, endianness, and jmpbuf size.     jmpbuf size is high on my list to remove. I had it almost fixed, but not quite right.     Target dependencies are mostly in other places:     1) quake code        2) #ifdef C       3) the gcc backend       The quake code and #ifdefed C can largely be merged into just #ifdefed C, and thatlargely goes away if/when we have preemptive suspend.Ok ok, that's only for garbage collection. File I/O and GUI are still forked Win32 vs. Posix,and always will be in Trestle. Maybe we'll layer over Qt or such someday...  In the present structuring there is also some need/want for "user threads" targets:  I386_LINUX    I386_LINUX_USERTHREADS    but I'd rather make that a compile/link/runtime option instead.Currently anyone needing/wanting userthreads gets to recompile the world.   - Jay