[M3devel] cm3, NOPTHREAD

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Sat May 26 00:09:12 CEST 2012

 > no, since we've lost self-hosted compiler (because PTHREADS is C code)
 > when compiling using PTHREADS capabilities.

 Again Daniel, this make no sense to me.

> You need a new compiler image

 Again Daniel, this is wrong.

  >  and a new RT image

  Again Daniel, this doesn't make complete sense to me.
  What do you mean "new RT image"?

 You need m3core, and then because its interface essentially changes (different type ids for thread and/or lock), you have to recompile everything else that you are going to use, with this new m3core -- i.e.  the entire dependency graph up to and including the executable.

You do NOT need a new compiler.
If it works, great. But you don't need it.

If we hide the types behind object or such, then only m3core will need to be rebuild. That is the plan. And more so -- a command line to change between them.
For now, the type ids vary.

-DNOPTHREAD only directly changes m3core.
The rest of the system can be compiled w/ or w/o it. But the new m3core causes a need for some rebuild.

 - Jay