[M3devel] C backend -- mode or call quake?

mika at async.caltech.edu mika at async.caltech.edu
Mon Oct 15 20:35:01 CEST 2012

Jay K writes:
>"External" anything is convenient for development and testing=2C bad for pe=
>rformance.  It writes and reads the .mc files.   Besides development/testin=
>g=2C it also is used for licensing reasons -- communication through files i=
>nstead of "linking" code.

Jay you keep coming back to this issue of the performance of the compiler.
Do you use Modula-3 for some large projects I'm not aware of?  I compile
quite a bit of code with it, and sure it would be cool (always is) if it
were faster but it's not like the lack of speed has ever bothered me (not
since the silly 0.1-second delay was removed from Process.Wait).  I also
implemented a parallelized back-end mode a while ago (it's in the tree).
The speed of the compiler is mainly an issue when recompiling the world,
which is something that happens mainly during "development/testing",
and then not by regular users, normally...

    Mika