[M3devel] a "need" for multi-pass m3cg (or different order of calls)

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Fri Sep 7 04:23:01 CEST 2012

I'm not really suggesting any change to any existing code..
Though, the frontend, I gather, is already multi-pass,
so it might be nice if it did things in an order more
convenient for backends.e.g. it'd be nice if all the import_procedure calls came in before any begin_procedure;as it stands, many come in early, and then more come in in the middle of code.
I'm motivating that my C/C++ generating backend could
benefit from internally having multiple passes.
Which might be convenient to implement via a general
mechanism for combining multiple "partial" passes.  Such mechanism would naturally "temporarily persist"
a faithful m3cg representation in memory.
Very similar to the existing temporary binary files
we feed to parse.c, but without all the encoding for
compactness. i.e. an array of records  I guess I'll still try to ignore this matter for now.
I'm getting by with one pass that generates invalid C++ but valid C.  Possibly I can provide a "nicely reordering m3cg"
that buffers it all up and then plays it back
in a slightly better order, that is more amenable
to a simple implementation, e.g. again getting
all the import_procedure calls in before any begin_procedure.
Moving all the init_* calls to near the start instead of near the end.
etc.  i.e. I'm not really sure multiple passes are needed, it's just thatthe current ordering is kind of surprising sometimes.
 - JaySubject: Re: [M3devel] a "need" for multi-pass m3cg (or different order of calls)