[M3devel] Internal debugging - a simple design

Darko darko at darko.org
Wed Apr 3 00:54:41 CEST 2013

On Apr 2, 2013, at 3:39 PM, Jay K wrote:

> I don't want to have to recompile anything.
> Ideally the overhead of the debug stuff is low enough that it is always on.
> That is difficult. Or maybe everything is so fast these days that we can just be inefficient. Nobody noticed how bad cm3cg's codegen was, after all, or that it got better.

The constant debug information has to be stored somewhere, I guess it could be an external file to avoid increasing code size.

>  I believe you need to make a function call for every line or "instruction".
> That is the hook for stepping and breakpoints.

I don't think this is required. If you want to break you put in a call in your code. Recompile time is quick compared to the overhead this would introduce.

>  You need function calls to the debugger for every assignment.
> If you have something like "watch breakpoints"
> ("Break whenv variable x becomes 123.")
>  On the assignment matter though, it could be done in the step/instruction call.

Again, if you want this you put a call in your code, just like the existing pragma.

> There isn't necessarily a zero offset for parameters and locals..
> well..a debug system probably creates one..homing all the parameters
> and not enregistering everything..
> You should probably bundle up the data into a smaller number of linked structures,
> in order to pass fewer parameters to DebugProcEntry.

Notice the offset is an integer, along with a special number for registers and pesudo-functions to access them, wouldn't that avoid changes for debugging?

> Beware module globals also.
> Even in my upcoming C backend work, they don't work well.
> I think that needs frontend work. :(

I think they're rare enough that they could be handled with functions instead of this debugging code.