[M3devel] Build Automation

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Sun Aug 25 09:31:57 CEST 2013

For what we use it for, Quake is hard to beat.

What are you missing in Quake?

It falls down only slightly:
   - not as much parallelism as it could have
   - it is an obscure system, like Modula-3
   - it is perhaps fairly Modula-3 specific; but it is extensible and we do have C/C++ in their, presumably one could add Java/C# support reasonably easily..
   - doesn't offer building multiple programs/modules in one invocation -- directory traversal; we layer thin scripts over it
    - the name -- I assume it meant quick make

it wins:
  - integrated with the compiler (this can be viewed as bad too)
  - declarative (or at least appears so, it is actually clever and imperative, but it is a great facsimile)
  - presumably efficient -- they actually compile it down to a bytecode internally and execute that!
 - presumably efficient -- underlying native code Modula-3 implementation..if this means anything any longer, so much is written in JavaScript, C#, Java, theoretical efficiencies all over the place and yet most things seem ok

 - Jay