[M3devel] Compiler upgrade broken in Hudson CI

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Thu Feb 7 08:36:41 CET 2013

m3gdb: is GPL is a fork, that will never be merged  that isn't being updated  is big  that doesn't support some platforms e.g. Darwin, HP-UX
cm3cg has some but not all of those characteristics

Meanwhile, debugging on NT and Darwin is limited to line numbersand integers and floats. No useful view of structs or globalsis available.  And as I understand..can anyone agree/disagree?.. gets itsdata from the backend via a total backdoor hack, that is very difficultto duplicate. E.g. including with llvm, including if we generatedtypeful gcc trees like any normal backend would do.I speculate, maybe it will be possible to output some assemblyfiles on the side with just the stabs directives.

I'm hoping that: gdb on Darwin will improve drastically via the C backend; it hasn't yet  windbg and Visual Studio ditto
 gdb on platforms that support m3gdb will come close to m3gdb,but parity might not be achievable.

Our target support continues to lag.  DragonflyBSD?  OpenBSD w/o maintaining patches (mainline gcc doesn't support OpenBSD, but I386_ELF is all fairly much the same, so the patches are small)  ARM_NT?  {PPC,MIPS,ARM,SH,I386}_CE?  ARM_DARWIN? Was mostly there already.  PPC32_XBOX?  AMD64_NT? This should come along fairly soon now via the C backend.

Let's see how good we can get stock debuggers working with our C. Ok?

 - Jay