[M3devel] Bare Metal Modula-3

Darko darko at darko.org
Fri Jan 4 10:16:47 CET 2013

I'm interested in deploying M3 into a kind-of embedded environment where efficiency and performance are key and I want to avoid installing an OS beyond a simple supervisor that manages the hardware.

The services needed are threading, memory allocation and network access. I'm figuring the first two already exist in M3 and a network stack can be found.

The question I have is can all of the OS specific runtime can be removed? Beyond maybe a timer and possibly some memory protection functionality, what does M3 need to run threading and garbage collection?

- Darko