[M3devel] Bare Metal Modula-3

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Sat Jan 5 01:36:16 CET 2013

Clarification regarding mmap.  mmap has two fairly different purposes in Posix.   1) to "map a file" into memory  2) to "allocate memory", probably with address and size page-aligned, probably for relatively large allocations (i.e. ones you don't mind rounding up to a page size).     #1 is the more obvious probably better known use. The one I knew of. The one it sounds like.   #2 is what we use it for.    If we ever autoconf-m3core, it'd probably be reasonable to do something like:  #if HAS_MMAPreturn mmap(...); #elif HAS_CALLOC void** p = (void**)calloc(size + sizeof(void*));if (!p) return p;p[0] = p;return p + 1; #else#error#endif  #if HAS_MMAPmunmap(...); #elif HAS_CALLOC if (p)  free(((void**)p)[-1]); #endif  alternatively though, look for every directory named "POSIX" and make a copy of it, and modify as needed.Including assert(0) in places.Invent your own value for "OS_TYPE".  Maybe #define OS_TYPE_FOO  #include ../POSIX/Foo.c  and #ifndef OS_TYPE_FOO in Foo.c, if it isn't too messy.  Sharing code can be good or bad.  We don't actually use "memory protection".Er, well..maybe we do...we might have code that allocates stacks, and makes a page at either end inaccessible.This is nice. It might be required for "safety".It might also be a good idea to have a flag in Target.i3 that says the target needs calls in prologues to check for stack overflow, and use that instead.More portable -- i.e. doesn't require hardware page protection -- but bigger/bloated/slower.   Really you need to look at all the POSIX/PTHREAD/WIN32 directories, esp. in m3core and libm3.You make a much different system, you get to do the port.It is neither impossible nor a no-op.   - Jay