[M3devel] Current version? (WAS: I don't know what changed, or when, but thanks!)

Rodney M. Bates rodney_bates at lcwb.coop
Mon Jul 15 19:43:17 CEST 2013

On 07/15/2013 11:59 AM, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 08, 2013 at 12:30:38PM -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 08, 2013 at 10:36:29AM -0500, Rodney M. Bates wrote:
>>> If you get m3gdb to realize this is modula-3 code, there will be a lot
>>> more useful info in the backtrace, like parameter values.  Probably just
>>> doing a 'frame 17', or any M3 frame will do it, or 'set lang Modula-3'.
>>
>> Yes, that would probably help.
>>>
>>> If you are using the head compiler and debugger, you will need very
>>> recent ones (perhaps in the last month?), as changes in the code
>>> generator created some regressions.  All that I have seen are now
>>> fixed in the current head.
>>
>> Time to upgrade, then.
>
> I'm currently running version 5.8.6, which identifies itself as last
> updated on 2010-04-11.  Is that still the latest release?  I haven't
> found a newer.

I think that is the latest release, or maybe the slightly updated cvs
release branch.

> Does it come ddown to checking out current source from cvs and using
> my existing Modula 3 to compile it?

If you are using or want to use the head version, yes.

If you are using the release compiler and debugger, I think most or
all of the regressions I referred to have happened since the release,
so using that compiler may give you pretty much all m3gdb function
as exists.  I don't remember adding much new function in a while.

It is possible however, to get the latest m3gdb from cvs head and compile
and use it along with any of various older compilers and libraries,
even PM3, EZM3, or, (gasp,) SRC M3.  I always try to make m3gdb remain
compatible with all the older compilers, whenever I add anything.

> And does cvsup work again?

I don't know about this.