[M3devel] Current version? (WAS: I don't know what changed, or when, but thanks!)

Rodney M. Bates rodney_bates at lcwb.coop
Sun Jul 21 17:52:22 CEST 2013

On 07/18/2013 12:14 PM, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 12:43:17PM -0500, Rodney M. Bates wrote:
>>
>> If you are using the release compiler and debugger, I think most or
>> all of the regressions I referred to have happened since the release,
>> so using that compiler may give you pretty much all m3gdb function
>> as exists.  I don't remember adding much new function in a while.
>
> Just to be clear, by "the regressions since the release" do you mean
> problems that have appeaared since the release, or problems that have
> been fixed since the
> releases.
>

>> It is possible however, to get the latest m3gdb from cvs head and compile
>> and use it along with any of various older compilers and libraries,
>> even PM3, EZM3, or, (gasp,) SRC M3.  I always try to make m3gdb remain
>> compatible with all the older compilers, whenever I add anything.
>
> I have to say, still maintaining compatibility with SRC M3 is amazing.

Well, thank you.  Actually, it's mostly just work and intention.  Whenever
some compiler change alters the runtime organization or the debug info,
I don't strip out or modify what's there, I just add new alternative code
and some detection of which to use.

In a few places, it is difficult or impossible to distinguish something.
A totally reworked debug info system, probably dwarf, would be refreshing,
but it's a big job and there are priorities.