[M3devel] Textual backend

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Fri May 10 09:31:55 CEST 2013

Dirk wants it to be easy to get the "m3cg text" out.I agree. We should add switches that enable outputting the m3cg binary files, the m3cg text files, either alone, or along with whatever is the "final" backend. I know, when cm3cg is the backend, the binary files are already output. And -keep keeps them. Here is a lame proposal: cm3 -m3cgbin outputs the m3cg bin files and exitscm3 -m3cgtext outputs the m3cg text files and exitscm3 -and-m3cgtext outputs the m3cg text files, and runs whatever other backend it would anywaycm3 -and-m3cgbin outputs the m3cg binary files, and runs whatever other backend it would anyway. -and-m3cgtext and -m3cgbin can be combined-m3cgbin and -m3cgtext cannot be-and-m3cgbin is redundant when using cm3cg and would almost silently be ignored; it would imply -keep My choice of switch names is poor, but I think the functionality is slightly useful, very easy to add, and shouldn't interfere with anything.  What will be nice about these switches is -and-m3cgtext will make most of the tracing in M3x86.m3, M3C.m3 and parse.c redundant. Actually, the spec should be more like, user lists a set of output file types.cm3 -output:m3cgtext,m3cgbin,c,o kind of like a list of backends, or constructing a pipeline or multiple pipelines. It might be general enough to express generating "o" via "c" or "o" via cm3cg?Or "c", and then "o" via cm3cg?   - Jay