[M3devel] How to run m3cggen?

Rodney M. Bates rodney_bates at lcwb.coop
Tue Nov 5 18:47:13 CET 2013

I need to rebuild m3cc after changes to m3middle/src/M3CG_Binary.i3 and m3cggen/src/Main.
I can see that at a minimum, I have to recompile m3cggen first, then run it and place
its output appropriately, before compiling m3cc.  m3cggen comes after m3cc in pkginfo.txt,
so the do-cm3-*.sh scripts can't work here.

A massive recursive grep of everything for "m3cggen" doesn't appear to turn up anything in
a script, makefile, or m3makefile, other than disconnected building of m3cggen itself.
However, there is so much false output here, that it's a needle in a haystack.

So is there any script, makefile, etc. that takes care of this, or is it all manual?
Are there any other generated source files or similar steps that also need to be redone
that I can't easily find?

m3cg.h (The result of this process) is a CVS file, which at least hints that this is
just being done manually.

Slightly related, I found out the hard way that the parse.c in the gcc version you are
compiling is actually, sometimes, overlaid during building, by the one in gcc/gcc/m3cg.
What is the complete set of source files that, like this, are not where one would
expect them to be?  Is it everything in the m3cg subdirectory?  Just parse.c?
Some other subset?