[M3devel] AMD64_DARWIN with OSX Mavericks

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Thu Nov 14 05:30:42 CET 2013

  > AFAIK, automake/autoconf is big pain. of C world.
  > Whole build systems were devised/built, just to bypass autowhatever.

 Yes but my research suggests nobody has matched it,
 in particular for cross builds and in particular autoconf's ability
 to work with brand new systems, as long as they can be composed
 from preexisting variables -- which are probed for.
 But I don't like layers and layers of generated files, Bourne shell, and m4.

 C and C++ aren't so bad.
 They do have positive and negatives.
 Lack of a good module system is one of their negatives.
 And therefore build speed and incremental builds.

 cm3 resembles the ideal user interface of automake, but without generating files.

 Where I most want autoX/libtool/pkg-config is to determine
 how to run the C compiler/assembler/linker for given packages.

 I think pkg-config addresses one of our weakest point.
 The point in the config files that list "ODBC" or "POSTGRES" and such.
 That part has never seemed great, not even with cminstall.
 The problem with cminstall is that packages can be installed and uninstalled
 in any order.

 I kinda think we could support it within cm3, easily enough, in one of a few ways:
  meta-syntax in the config file to indicate we should run pkg-config --libs and add that to the link command
  or we could try it unconditionally
  or we could find the .pc files ourselves, conditionally or unconditionally.

  see http://linux.die.net/man/1/pkg-config

 Someday maybe we'll generate .h files to interfacing with Modula-3, and then
 we could create .pc files also..

 libtool I also want, because we duplicate a lot of it. Better to punt to another project.
 Though the wide availability of gcc combined with convergence to not that many OSes
 makes it not too difficult to do it yourself, which is what we do...

 - Jay