[M3devel] Fw: UTF-16: Greek alphabet with CM3

Elmar Stellnberger estellnb at elstel.org
Sat Nov 30 12:25:31 CET 2013

 > Right, In this respect, everything probably just works and always has.
 > Just don't try to display any two non-English languages in a GUI at once.

That was exactly the requirement: use greek and latin characters at the
same time to display mathematical expressions

 > I think we should port Trestle to use 16 bit characters always
internally.
 > Even going so far as to double the memory use of common English strings.

No, that does not double the memory usage. I have just inserted a
Text.IsWide function to let a future
version of VBT.PaintText select whether it wants to use XDrawString16 or
its eight bit counterpart.

 > Can anyone vouch for XDrawString16 generally being implemented and
working?

Yes it is shipped with X11R4

  - Jay

 > 1) Ok for purposes of interfacing with Win32 and Xlib, what should I
use where WIDECHAR used to be correct?
 > 2) Are we really certain that redefining WIDECHAR is the way to go?
 > Not, say, introduce a new time, CHAR32 or UCHAR32?
 > And maybe add an explicit alias CHAR16 or UCHAR16 to provide a type
that nobody will ever consider changing?

upgrading to WideChar32 would AFAIK be a major effort, not a simple fix:
first you would have to upgrade the whole Trestle kit to X11R6
you would have to use the very heavy weight X11R6 XIM interface to make
use of WideChar32
then you would finally have to change the internal representation of the
Text type.

Am 30.11.2013 11:02, schrieb Dragiša Durić:
> I think this would be a major error. Choose 16bit route when only
> Windows does this, and everybody else is using UTF-8 is not a logical
> decision.
I do not consent. WideChar32 will come with the additional benefit of
some additionally supported languages. That is all it would be good for.
If we ever upgraded to use XIM which will be a major effort as I have
already tried to point out we can still consider WC32 though converting
between UTF-8 and UTF-16 is no big deal (I have an implementation which
I could give you.).

i.e. X11R4 uses WC16
      X11R6-XIM uses WC32

I do not want to speak against WC32; Nonetheless
it basically depends on how much effort you are willing to invest.