[M3devel] Well, I'm impressed!

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Wed Oct 16 01:25:11 CEST 2013

 Cool.

 > to upload an archive or something, to let other intrepid Raspber

 scripts/make-dist.py ?
 And then you can scp the results to modula3.elegosoft.com/var/www/cm3/uploaded-archives.

 Feel free to do that for whatever are your favorite systems, maybe switching
 them to the C backend as you go. :)

 > SYSTEM_CC and SYSTEM_AS are set up for cross building

  Only for ARM. I thought only ARM_DARWIN.
  I guess that wasn't ideal in retrospect.
  Or rather, there is more work to do here, so we have
  a complete native and cross story with reasonable ease of use.
  I am so tempted to throw out quake and the config files and just
  generate a little automake/autoconf/cmake input and let them
  deal with it..

 > MIPSEL_LINUX

 Why is MIPS relevant?
 I guess I didn't get far there, on my Loongson I replaced Debian with OpenBSD.
 Anyway, with the C backend, it likely just works.

 Did you mean ARMEL_LINUX? And the pragma thing? I fixed that.
 Problem is, when upgrading cm3cg, one I guess should build for every target, to catch this.
 I guess I should do that. But this is hopefully going away.
 I built some cm3cg backends last night..and hit OpenBSD missing in 4.7..

 > I'd say the hardest thing for me to figure out was actually how to upgrade

 Upgrade.py?

  The version sensitivity has always been there, it is just that we go long durations
  without changing things. But things are changable and do get changed. Tony added LONGINT
  and the atomics. Good. And upgrade.py deals with that.
  I modified the M3CG enum slightly. Upgrade.py deals with that.

  It isn't a bunch of special cases, it is just a particular ordering.
  We depend on a working system to give us cm3, m3core, and libm3.
  That is all you need for a native upgrade.

 One thing upgrade.py is touchy about is, that someone hit recently,
 is that I replaced upgrade.h's uname use with looking at what cm3's host is.
 But older cm3 doesn't report it. So he didn't use ugprade.py.

  If you don't have native cm3, then you can cross build cm3.

  You went through both of those paths. Good!
  I'm hoping additional people can become comfortable with this, so more people
  can work on it.

  And maybe we need to restructure some. In particular, upgrade should not be so in-place.
  make-dist.py does this better -- it builds a whole new system, but w/o changing the
  existing one at all. At the end you can copy the new onto the old.

  Realize upgrade.py was based on upgrade.sh, for better and worse.
  I did miss that upgrade.sh built everything and not just cm3/m3core/libm3, so upgrade.py
  doesn't build everything.

 > Finally, SYSTEM_CC and SYSTEM_AS are set up for cross building in the
 > configs.  That leads to a ton more editing (as the settings propagate
 > to a few places).

 There is a version of cm3.cfg that reachs back into the CVS checkout.
 I did that as a response to my often editing the wrong files.
 But this also is hazardous sometimes wrt upgrade, sometimes these
 need to be separate.

 - Jay