[M3devel] Licenses and copyright ownership

Hendrik Boom hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Thu Oct 17 17:50:45 CEST 2013

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 07:55:09PM +0000, Jay K wrote:
> Use a "BSD" or "MIT" license.

I believe those don't place restrictions on what other code you can
link with.

 Maybe LGPL.

LGPL does place some restrictions on linking, but they're not as
severe as GPL.

> Don't use Apache 2.0 or Mozilla.

"Public domain" might seem to be an option, except that

(1) It doesn't count as a license; instead, it means tht no license is
needed,

and

(2) Some countries in the world don't recognise it, leaving your users
there in legal limbo.

> Don't make up your own. OpenBSD folks reject such things as not worth the (lawyer) time to understand.> OpenBSD folks reject the Apache 2.0 license for some reaosn -- maybe the previous, it is long and custom.
> Best is modern BSD, which some years ago dropped a clause from the old BSD license.
> See OpenBSD, FreeBSD, and NetBSD.

For an introduction to dual-licensing, please see the Wikipedia
article, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-licensing
Especially the section on License Compatibility, which is our concern
here.