[M3devel] rc vs. windres

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Tue Sep 3 19:53:08 CEST 2013

> "windowsResources" is very Microsoft-specific, and there is no dependency on cygwin.

Yes there is. As the commit says -- the code checks "backend mode" and uses rc for 0, windres otherwise, windres being a Cygwin tool. I changed it so backend mode C also uses rc.

I think this probably belongs all the way up in the config files.
Keeping in mind that it is a host-configuration aspect, not a target-specific one.
We confuse those -- is "NT386GNU" a host or a target, or both?
Does the compiler use cygwin1.dll, or the output, or both?
In reality, these are separate matters.
Cross compilation is rare, people confuse these matters all the time, and it rarely matters.

 - Jay