[M3devel] EXT:RE: [M3commit] CVS Update: cm3

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Sun Sep 22 07:43:15 CEST 2013

Right.
cvs upd m3-sys/mklib/src/Main.m3 should fix it.

I know the problem with the Python. It is dependent on newer cm3 that prints "host", rather than, I guess, the sniffing it used to do. I'm not sure I'll fix it. I have to go back and install the older versions and go through the workflow myself and then I can improve/fix it.

What does cm3 -version print?

  > or that my m3core is too old to be able to perform an upgrade

Most likely it will work. mklib I recall is last in the bootstrap phase, so you are 99.99% there.

 The system is written in itself. An excellent feature.
 There are always therefore these problems, and always we should probably gradually require a newer build.
 When there isn't a new enough native install, or any at all, a cross build is the solution.
 I have "crossed" countless times at this point and can vouch for its viability.
 We cannot/must not support arbitrarily old. For example, building from the old/stable 3.6 release is probably irrecovably broken by now. Because the system has gone so long with relatively little change, these aspects become hidden to most people and they consider it a problem/bug when they come up, when they are actually perfectly natural results of the system using itself, and incurring any changes.

 - Jay