[M3devel] question on File.Status.size

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Mon Sep 30 06:48:41 CEST 2013

 > NUMBER(array) to yield a LONGCARD

  This can't be.
  Arrays are in-memory data structures.
  INTEGER/CARDINAL are an appropriate type
  to hold the size of something fits in memory/address-space.
  INTEGER is like C's ptrdiff_t.
  CARDINAL is kind of like C's size_t, except it is half range.
  Word.T is kind of like C's size_t, except it has no convenient in-fix operators.

  Files commonly do not fit in memory/address-space.
  So they arguably should have their size stored
  in a larger type.

 I think there is no easy answer here.

 I would be ok with:
   - put it back to INTEGER/CARDINAL
   - expose another way new way to get a LONGCARD

 - Jay