[M3devel] getting started with git?

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Wed Dec 10 13:20:33 CET 2014

I have been struggingly to do anything with git.
Just me?
Please help?

I understand that everyone gets a copy of the repository, so viewing history
is fast and disconnected.

I understand I get to commit locally so that I can commit willy nilly and nobody
will notice or mind.

I understand that after I commit locally willy nilly, I can "combine" many
small commits into one commit, so that when eventually my changes are shared,
while the history might be hierarchical/branched, it won't be too noisy.

Those are all good selling points.

Now, things I don't understand.

Besides my local repository, is github also hosting a fork just for me?

I commit to that "somewhat willy nilly"?
This seems like a somewhat redundant extra layer.

And then, "third level of the hierarchy", occasionally my github
repository is merged with the master?

I submit a pull request?
I haven't figured out how.
And who handles them?
Or it is automatic? But how to stop arbitrary edits then?
i.e. how to approve people?

There is more I don't understand.
Like, in CVS and Perforce I am accustomed to multiple clients/checkouts/enlistments,
for separate work, or for "buddy builds".

But that shouldn't require a whole additional repository full of history.

What is the analog in Git?

Alternatively, can some write up the following workflows:

 1. start from scratch
 2. get a file edited in the mainline
 3. and then undone

 1. start from scratch
 2. get a file added in the mainline.
 3. and then edited

So much documentation talks about tangential scenarios, like "git init" which I don't think is relevant.

 also, I find git status is quite slow.
 So much for offline and disconnected.
 Is there a mode where, like:
   1) files are read only by default
   2) I have to run git to make them writable
   3) It will remember, quickly?

I am thoroughly familiar with and happy with perforce, so explanations
that attempt to compare/contract/reuse-vocabulary with it are welcome.

Thanks,