[M3devel] getting started with git?

Coleburn, Randy rcolebur at SCIRES.COM
Thu Dec 11 01:10:30 CET 2014

I must confess that I am totally lost at this point wrt github.
I understood what was going on with CVS and used TortoiseCVS to make it easy to keep my local repo up-to-date and submit changes to the repository.
I need to spend some time learning the new system.
Can someone point me to the "fast start" web pages so I can figure out what I need to do.

Also, I am losing this email address before the end of the year, so I need to transition all my cm3 mail list subscriptions to a new email address.  I don't want to post that address here, but if someone can tell me who to contact to make the change, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Randy Coleburn

-----Original Message-----
From: Olaf Wagner [mailto:wagner at elego.de]
Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2014 12:13 PM
To: rodney.m.bates at acm.org
Cc: m3devel at elegosoft.com
Subject: EXT:Re: [M3devel] getting started with git?

On Wed, 10 Dec 2014 08:29:29 -0600
"Rodney M. Bates" <rodney_bates at lcwb.coop> wrote:

> I'm pretty new at git too, so my impressions are tenuous
>
> On 12/10/2014 06:20 AM, Jay K wrote:
[...]
> > I submit a pull request?
> > I haven't figured out how.
>
> 'pull' is a git command you can issue locally, naming the remote repo
> (and the branch) you want to pull from.  With the remote repo URL
> omitted, it pulls from the one you originally cloned from.  That is
> remembered somewhere locally.  You can examine/edit the URL with some
> command, I think 'remote'. (push defaults to this URL too.)
>
> What I have been unable to do is get an explicit repo URL in a pull or
> push command to work.  Every spelling I try either silently and
> immediately returns a prompt, with no evidence anything happened, or
> gives a error message criticizing the repo URL as if it were supposed
> to be a branch name or something other than a URL..
>
> > And who handles them?
> > Or it is automatic? But how to stop arbitrary edits then?
>
> I am quite certain it is not automatic.  You have to explicitly pull.
>
> Somebody else with their own local repo can push it to yours, but you
> have to have given them permission somehow.  I doubt the github repo
> will ever get pushed to yours.

You're talking about two different things. See https://help.github.com/articles/using-pull-requests/
for pull requests on github, wile 'git pull' is just a combination of 'git fetch' and 'git merge':

http://git-scm.com/docs/git-pull

I'm not sure if the small number of m3 developers will need pull requests for their collaboration.

Olaf
--
Olaf Wagner -- elego Software Solutions GmbH -- http://www.elegosoft.com
Geschäftsführer: Olaf Wagner | Sitz: Berlin