[M3devel] booting for AMD64_LINUX, continued...

mika at async.caltech.edu mika at async.caltech.edu
Fri Jan 3 06:12:52 CET 2014

Well I managed to get it to work using the following roundabout procedure:

Since the only archives I could find on elegosoft for AMD64_LINUX were ancient,
I installed VirtualBox and FreeBSD/amd64 inside that.  FreeBSD/amd64 for some
reason has very recent archives (of the old "cminstall" kind).

Downloaded the FreeBSD archive, cminstalled it, and ran upgrade.py on the latest
sources.

Had to remove some code from ConvertPacking.m3 because Jay's C-backend can't compile
that for some reason.

ran boot1.py, which gave me a boot archive.  Note---if you've done this with boot1.py "c"
before, you have to delete all the derived dirs and start over, or you get a mess.

Moved the boot archive to the Linux machine.

Resurrected ConvertPacking.m3

Ran boot2.sh (or equiv) until I got everything built.

That worked.

So... some observations:

.. I have a very recent build on ARM_LINUX, but wasn't able to cross-compile.  Word size
problem?

.. I now have three very recent builds: ARM_LINUX, AMD64_FREEBSD, and AMD64_LINUX.  What
precisely do I have to do to make boot archives out of these so other people might be spared
this painful process?  Very few archives on the elego site are up to date.  Some NT stuff and
some FreeBSD stuff.  Nothing else that I can see.

    Mika