[M3devel] build problems with libunicode

Elmar Stellnberger estellnb at elstel.org
Mon Jun 2 08:29:18 CEST 2014

> But do gtk and qt actually treat all characters as 16-bit fixed-size code points, or do they
> actually use UTF16, with the 16-bit value being a code unit, not a code point?  In the
> latter case, using UniWr and UniRd to do the encoding/decoding would be a much cleaner
> option.

Qt and Gtk should be able to handle true UTF-16 including surrogate pairs so that
finally making an UniRd and UniWr from such a 16bit type would be the way to go.
As far as I have researched Gtk has some UCS-4 conversion functions by its own.
Qt has a QString::fromUcs4( const unit* unicode, int size=-1) function as well, so
that we could even do the conversion in some client library. There is also a
QVector<unit> QString::toUcs4() const which you can apply a .data() upon to get
an in memory array of UCS-4 characters.

Elmar Stellnberger