[M3devel] build problems with libunicode

Rodney M. Bates rodney_bates at lcwb.coop
Tue Jun 3 02:34:32 CEST 2014

On 06/02/2014 01:34 AM, Elmar Stellnberger wrote:

> Am 31.05.2014 um 10:50 schrieb Olaf Wagner:
>
>> On Fri, 30 May 2014 01:38:01 +0000
>> "Coleburn, Randy" <rcolebur at SCIRES.COM> wrote:
>>
>>> Jay / Rodney:
>>>
>>> For the elego\prjm package, I'm not sure whether it is supposed to be buildable on Windows.  If not, I can just exclude it, or we can modify the m3makefile to prevent it from building on Windows.  Obviously, I never used this package before.
>>
>> All the packages from Elego used to build on Windows, Linux, BSD
>> and Solaris platforms. However, I don't think anything depends
>> on this that you will need so you should be safe to exclude
>> all the stuff in the elego directory.
>>
>> Olaf
>> --
>
> Nonetheless I would highly appreciate some UCS-4 support in the upcoming release
> if we still have time for that.

Hmm, how different is UCS4 from UTF32?  The UCS and Unicode standards are coordinated
and often agree on such things.  UTF32, in big-endian, little-endian, and host-endian
are already in libunicode.  If they differ, adding a new encoding would not be hard at
this point.

If it just does not build under Windows there may be a
> viable way to fix it.
>--

I don't expect the build problem to have anything to do with Windows/Posix.  It only
requires that the compiler make WIDECHAR big enough for Unicode.  I don't have many
targets to actually test on, but it is coded to work on Cartesian product:

[32-bit,64-bit target] X [big-endian,little-endian target] X [big-endian, little-endian streams].

I don't expect other target characteristics to matter.

Rodney Bates
rodney.m.bates at acm.org