[M3devel] freebsd 10

mika at async.caltech.edu mika at async.caltech.edu
Tue May 27 00:22:27 CEST 2014

Thanks so much for the reminder that Modula-3 is in FreeBSD ports.
That's great!  I've used it on FreeBSD since 1999 (was that FreeBSD
2?) and this is definitely the easiest install ever.

But the default configuration uses pthreads.  Pthreads support in Modula-3
is broken.

root at pluto:/home/mika/cm3/cm3/m3-libs/m3core/tests/thread # AMD64_FREEBSD/threadtest
Writing file...done
Creating read threads...done
Creating fork threads...done
Creating alloc threads...done
Creating lock threads...done
running...printing oldest/median age/newest
.

***
*** runtime error:
***    Segmentation violation - possible attempt to dereference NIL
***    pc = 0x4387e8 = Move + 0x6a in ../src/runtime/common/RTCollector.m3
***

Abort (core dumped)
root at pluto:/home/mika/cm3/cm3/m3-libs/m3core/tests/thread #

I wonder what the best way of reconfiguring this installation to use
user threads (which always work right, in my experience) is...

    Mika