[M3devel] freebsd 10

mika at async.caltech.edu mika at async.caltech.edu
Tue May 27 01:40:21 CEST 2014

John Marino writes:
>On 5/27/2014 00:22, mika at async.caltech.edu wrote:
>> Thanks so much for the reminder that Modula-3 is in FreeBSD ports.
>> That's great!  I've used it on FreeBSD since 1999 (was that FreeBSD
>> 2?) and this is definitely the easiest install ever.
>
>Actually it was gone for many years, it only came back a few months ago
>after a long hiatus.

You mean from FreeBSD ports, specifically, right?  I've always been able
to run up-to-date Modula-3 on FreeBSD but it's been a bit of a hassle
installing things (from DECSRC, Polytechnique de Montreal, or elego).
Having it in ports definitely makes things much much easier.

>> But the default configuration uses pthreads.  Pthreads support in Modula-3
>> is broken.
>
>Really?  I didn't know that.  That's not good.
>

>> root at pluto:/home/mika/cm3/cm3/m3-libs/m3core/tests/thread # AMD64_FREEBSD/threadtest
>> Writing file...done
>> Creating read threads...done
>> Creating fork threads...done
>> Creating alloc threads...done
>> Creating lock threads...done
>> running...printing oldest/median age/newest
>> .
>>
>> ***
>> *** runtime error:
>> ***    Segmentation violation - possible attempt to dereference NIL
>> ***    pc = 0x4387e8 = Move + 0x6a in ../src/runtime/common/RTCollector.m3
>> ***
>>
>> Abort (core dumped)
>> root at pluto:/home/mika/cm3/cm3/m3-libs/m3core/tests/thread #
>>
>> I wonder what the best way of reconfiguring this installation to use
>> user threads (which always work right, in my experience) is...
>>

>Probably adding something to the build environment but I don't know
>what.  How does one normally build "user threads" over posix threads?

Peter's following email suggests we "just" need an upgrade.

Otherwise the procedure is, if I remember right, to change a flag in
m3core/threads, rebuild m3core, then rebuild the compiler, then rebuild
everything else.

    Mika