[M3devel] Installing on Ubuntu Trusty Tahr

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Wed May 28 08:42:33 CEST 2014

.deb is just a .tar.gz or .tar.bz2 or .tar.xz with a little bit more around it.
They can be fancy but ours is not, it is just a compressed .tar.
Can you just crack it open and install the underlying parts?
It is likely "position independent" and you can extract it anywhere in your file system -- /usr/local/cm3, $HOME/cm3, etc.

I build them pretty "manually" see here:
https://dcvs.elegosoft.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/cm3/scripts/python/pylib.py
the function MakeDebianPackage
Ok, it is an actually an "ar" file, and inside the main thing is data.tar with some compression like .gz or .xz.

 - Jay