[M3devel] Resend: Re: elego prjm build error

Rodney M. Bates rodney_bates at lcwb.coop
Fri Oct 3 17:25:54 CEST 2014

I am a still a very rank beginning git user, but a couple of comments.

I have the impression that the CVS repository is now read-only, which
would mean not only that you can't update it, but that it is not tracking
updates pushed to github.

Yes, you will need an entire separate subdirectory for your local git
workspace.  Unlike CVS, it will contain a complete repository, including
the entire history, locally.  "commit" will just commit to your local
repository.  Although we are set up to treat the repo on the github site
as the central one, as with CVS, git has no builtin concept of a central
repository.  "push" and "pull" commands will sync between your local one and
any arbitrary repo you specify.

On 10/02/2014 04:06 PM, Coleburn, Randy wrote:
> Rodney / Tony:
>
> Thanks.  I'll update via CVS and give it a try.
>
> BTW, I haven't yet moved over to GIT yet.
> Are both CVS and GIT being maintained?
> Are there instructions for moving to GIT?
> I will probably pursue using TortoiseGIT since I've used TortoiseCVS.
> Will I need a separate workspace for the GIT repo, or can it be done on top of my existing CVS repo?
>
> Thanks,
> Randy Coleburn

Rodney Bates
rodney.m.bates at acm.org