[M3devel] github history

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Fri Aug 28 02:32:22 CEST 2015

  I don't really know what I'm doing with git. And it seems dangerous.

  I do know what I'm doing with Perforce, but oh well.

  I am a big fan of preserving history, so if I lost any, you can assume it was an accident.
    (That said, "local history" on my machine maybe isn't so valuable, noisy.)

  I really don't understand git merging. I tried using stash when there was a conflict, and that didn't go well.

  I don't know how to have multiple "checkouts" w/o multiple repositories. Wasteful.
   The web suggests some ways, but they didn't work for me -- e.g. cloning a local; I couldn't push from that.
  I gave up and created another large local repository. At least it was easy and fast enough.

  I don't want little temporary branches for this -- I don't want my one working directory to bounce between branches,
  I want multiple independent working directories against the same branch.

 - Jay