[M3devel] Build Server - Plan

microcode at zoho.com microcode at zoho.com
Fri Aug 14 08:36:29 CEST 2015

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 01:27:54PM -0700, Darko Volaric wrote:
> I'm setting up a server for building CM3 that takes a "minimalist" approach.
>
> It's a machine running several virtual machines, one for each platform
> supported by CM3. Each VM will contain clean install of the OS plus any
> external tool dependencies. It will have a minimal compiler install,
> basically enough to compile itself for the host target.

Doesn't CM3 support Solaris SPARC? As far as I know there is no cheap way to
emulate this from Intel.

> The publicly available build products will be:
>
> - minimal executables for bootstrap, eg the frontend and a backend
> - model compiler config files
> - compilation logs for bootstrap executables
> - compilation logs for most modules in the github repository
> - logs for certain tests

This sounds like a setup for experts. Why not make a turn-key tarball
available like was available (I think) before?

> Packages, libraries, scripts and non-essential tools or executables will
> not be built or used, the idea being that people take the minimal
> bootstraps and build from there.

That's fine for the 3 or 4 core guys doing all the work! For everybody else
this is a big inhibitor to making CM3 generally useful to the rest of the
world- unless the instructions to get a complete install are very clear and
easy to follow. But it seems from watching the discussion here it is
non-trivial to get CM3 installed.