[M3devel] Build Server - Plan

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Sun Aug 16 09:52:13 CEST 2015

The output of autoconf/automake should have lightweight dependencies.They might stress make, might require GNU make.They might stress the sh, but I think there are adequate shells out there.

They are meant to be easy for people building stuff to use.They aren't meant to be easy for people developing stuff to use.

Look at this way..while people complain and there are widelyused alternatives like cmake, autoconf/automake are in widespreaduse, and they do provide things that work for Linux, Solaris, BSD, MacOSX, Cygwin,HPUX, Aix, Irix, etc.
Furthermore, consider any platform that has a native gcc, is likely buildingthat with autoconf/automake.

I remain very template for "bootstrap" archives to consist of C and automake/autoconf/libtool output.Or assembly, but still automake/autoconf -- at least to generate makefiles and decide how to run the assembler.

 - Jay