[M3devel] addition of GPL stuff

Hendrik Boom hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Thu Dec 3 00:30:09 CET 2015

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 06:14:52AM +0000, Jay K wrote:
> Um, sorry to bring up such annoying matters, but maybe we should not
be licensingnew files as GPL, assuming they aren't derived from GPL files?
> e.g. the LLVM m3makfiles and Makefiles?
> Thank you, - Jay

To resurrect a post from ages gone by.

We should be licencing everything GPL, assuming it's original, and not
already constrained by SRC's license.

If another license is appropriate, use that too.  Make it dual licensed.
Dual licencing works as possible: anyone gets to choose which of
the licences they are going to use.  So if your use is allowed by *any*
of the listed licenses, it's OK.

It's a way to achieve greater compatibility than could be obtained by
any one of those licenses.

In particular, the copyright owner (initially the author) could grant
rights under both the GPL and the SRC licenses, to assure copatibility
with both.  THe LGPL might be better than GPL for freedom, and the MIT
licence even better.

Tht way, if ever a viable collection of Modula 3 code is licenced under
GPL, that collection can be used with GPL code freely.

-- hendrik