[M3devel] switching to C backend?

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Sat Jul 18 11:02:03 CEST 2015

 I disagree.  The system is working. This isn't speculation.
  Using his terminology
  C pros:   - written language (also a con)   - longevity   - does not drive me nuts   - design is very mature    - looks easy and is easy   - huge portability of implementation   - potential portability of object code    - debugability with stock debuggers    - large development teams ("back back end")  - multiple industrial strength "back back ends"   - likely similar compiled performance as anything else   - probably similar compiled performance

 C cons:   - compiler performance     - debuggability on platforms that have m3gdb support    - cannot always efficiently express things portably,     in particular, portable C has the same inefficient exception      handling; we need to switch to C++ to fix it, or non-portable C      on some platforms (i.e. win32 __try)
 For garbage collection, I believe C, m3cc, and llvm are currently all equivalent and not good.
    - Jay