[M3devel] gcc-4.3/4.5/4.6 ?

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Tue Jun 9 20:30:17 CEST 2015

 Is there any interest in maintaining

  1) gcc/m3cg/parse.c support for gcc 4.3/4.5/4.6? It is slightly messy.

  1b) gcc 4.2? This is where hypothetical ARM_DARWIN support is, last I checked, years ago.

  2) gcc-4.3/4.5/4.6 in-tree?

  Or remove them to keep checkouts smaller? There was complaint as to our
  source tree size, and these directories do add a lot of size for little gain.

 They were historically useful to transition versions. I don't think it was wrong
 to have the temporary growth.

 All targets except for ARM_DARWIN default to gcc 4.7.

 Do people often/ever go back and compare/debug?

 Or want to retain that ability, with the current ease?

 Or ok to get the files from history, for that rare-to-never event?

 If we do maintain the gcc backend, I would likely import as gcc-5.1 etc., and recreate the problem, but
 it can be a "rolling" problem and fix. But I'm not keen on maintaining the gcc backend anyway.