[M3devel] m3cgc1: fatal error: *** bad M3CG version stamp (0x100), expected 0x110

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Mon Jun 1 08:48:12 CEST 2015

 > was looking several alternative places for an executable cm3cg

I agree it did/does do that.
I did put that in.
I thought it was a good idea at the time.
I realize now it is a mistake.
If that behavior is still present, it will be advisable also to
first update one's config to stop doing that.

Basically, "ship" is a very carefully ordered operation, the shipping
of multiple packages.
If you have no bugs, and you ship in the correct order, then you don't need DESTDIR.
IF you have no bugs, but you ship in the incorrect order, you cause a bad mixing of things.
If you use "DESTDIR" then you can ship safely in any order and do some switch
at the end, such as by reseting PATH to point to the new set of files.
If you have circular dependencies, there might not be a workable order.

I agree this could be the case.
make-dist.py is written to avoid but might be slightly wrong.

I suspect I only ever ran make-dist after upgrade.

I have started setting up VMs..though NetBSD, FreeBSD, OpenBSD all fail
under VirtualBox if Hyper-V is enabled...but at least Debian is making progress.

So hopefully I can test and fix this properly soon.
And then I'll back to using the C backend anyway. :)

 - Jay