[M3devel] m3cgc1: fatal error: *** bad M3CG version stamp (0x100), expected 0x110

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Mon Jun 1 09:05:05 CEST 2015

> OK, the fix I mentioned is in the 5.8 release branch on github, but it is
> not in the above bootstrap.  In file bootstrap/etc/modula3/cm3cfg.common,
> line 274 needs to change from:

> 274:            foreach root in [ m3cc, bin ]

 > to:

 > 274:            foreach root in [ bin ]

> Before building the Modula-3 head.

Yes, agreed.
I still want the environment variable check removed, but this is another problem,
that I caused, and I did fix long ago, but is causing grief still, sorry about that.

Here, I fixed it in 2010:

 https://github.com/modula3/cm3/commit/65551f30a6c3ed2cd9740394a9082ffab1b07faa

 INSTALL_ROOT/bin/cm3cg for native builds
 ROOT/m3-sys/m3cc/HOST/TARGET/cm3cg for cross builds
 "Later" (never?) we can think about "installed" cross builds.

 In particular, when I make m3cg interface changes, I get
 burned by reaching in for ROOT/m3-sys/m3cc/x/cm3cg.

The code is a lot smaller now and more correct.
Sorry about that. I was being ambitious in trying
to make things work, and it turned out to be quite incorrect
once things are better understood.

  - Jay