[M3devel] Are all 5 gcc branches used?

John Marino adacore at marino.st
Wed Jun 3 20:10:07 CEST 2015

On 6/3/2015 20:04, Jay K wrote:
> If gcc obsoletes targets we want to keep, we could keep the old
> versions. Not super useful given our usage levels.

It has.  gcc-4.7 is a closed branch.  Only gcc 4.8 and later are not
obsolete by that definition, so all 5 of these are obsolete.

I would definitely encourage to prune as many of these as possible.  I
could probably challenge OpenBSD as well, e.g. Assuming you saying "4.2"
based on the base compiler, why are you assuming it must be built by
base compiler?

By definition, the base compiler is only required to build base.  There
are much newer and well maintained versions of gcc in openbsd ports
tree.  There's no reason a ports compiler couldn't be used (I assume
this is actually common).

> Try xz instead of gzip, maybe it halves the size?

I can't influence github's API.  It is what it is.

John