[M3devel] 32bit host 64bit target TextLiteral recurring problem

Elmar Stellnberger estellnb at elstel.org
Fri Jun 5 10:24:32 CEST 2015

Am 04.06.15 um 20:32 schrieb Darko Volaric:
> You really should try writing your own language, it's really not that
> hard.
Darko, you are dreaming. Writing a small demo compiler may be one weeks job.
However writing something that implements all that your hart desires will be
very hard to do if at all doable for a single person.

> M3 will never give you satisfaction. You've already implemented a C
> back end and no doubt have an idea of how a compiler works.
>
> As for language features, I think we should be looking for features to
> remove.

Jay, with a little more time I would have been at your side in a first
place!
A couple of years ago I had some own plans for a M3/Pascal like language
with similar or even more venturous properties.

   1) operator overloading -- C++
   2) templates with type deduction (i.e. C++ function templates, not
just class templates or generic modules) -- C++
   3) a small easy to understand language -- not C++, maybe Modula-3
   4) a small easy to understand compiler (m3front I don't understand)
-- nowhere
   5) fast compilation -- Modula-3
   6) optional safey -- Modula-3
   7) multiple inheritance, at least of "interfaces" -- C++
   8) optionally stack or inline allocation of "classes"/"objects" -- C++
   9) clear choice of build system -- Modula-3 perhaps
   10) locals with destructors -- C++
   11) clear portable choice for remoting/RPC  -- Modula-3 perhaps
   12) needs backend work -- Modula-3 perhaps
   13) a small easty to understand backend -- Modula-3 perhaps kinda sorta
   14) ?safety w/o garbage collection? -- rust??
   15) static compilation for type checking -- C++, Modula-3, Java, Go,
C#. Not Python/Perl/Ruby/Erlang/sh/Tcl.
   16) static compilation to native code, maybe -- C++ and Modula-3!
Go? Net.Native?
   17) non-virtual member functions -- not C or Modula-3
   18) virtual member functions -- C++, Modula-3
   19) safe numbers? Scheme?? C++ w/ library? (with operator overloading)
   20) clear/portable choice for threads -- Modula-3, C++14? Java. Geez
C++ was late here.
   21) clear/portable choice for interlocked -- Win32, msvc gcc;
Modula-3 and C are decades late.
   22) good string library
   23) good regex library

Nonetheless I wanna see what can be done with Modula-3 in its current
state. -
and I believe it already offers some interesting properties compared to
C like
f.i. range checking and better type safety which could make a difference
for
security relevant projects like f.i. a web browser. The only thing that
would be
necessary for such a project was a *** well tested and ready-to-use
shipped ***
GUI toolkit ...