[M3devel] rpath woes

mika at async.caltech.edu mika at async.caltech.edu
Fri Jun 5 17:42:17 CEST 2015

Jay K writes:
>--_da40b763-6cc9-48e7-9a39-2f2565af44c7_
>
> The FreeBSD4 users were surprisingly vocal surprisingly recently.
> So I put some work into it.
> I agree it is an old system.

I think you mean "the FreeBSD4 user"... I was actually running FreeBSD 5,
but the 4.x config worked well.

I've since upgraded to 10.0-RELEASE.  And don't use it much anymore
because posix threads (still) don't work right on FreeBSD.  I spent a
considerable effort to get them working right on Debian, which they
now do, but didn't have the time to figure it out for a bunch of
other OSes as well.  It's really pretty nice to have them working
correctly.  They aren't perfect (a bit too much locking over garbage
collection issues) but they don't ever seem to crash.  On problems
with lots of parallelism you do get some parallel speedup, even.

     Mika