[M3devel] Follow up - FreeBSD port

mika at async.caltech.edu mika at async.caltech.edu
Sun Jun 7 18:03:50 CEST 2015

Hendrik Boom writes:
>On Sat, Jun 06, 2015 at 11:05:17PM -0700, mika at async.caltech.edu wrote:
>> John Marino writes:
>> >Anything that tries to use TCP seems to fail.
>>
>> Might be a wild goose chase.. but I seem to remember having issues if
>> the reverse and forward DNS of your machine don't match up, or if there
>> is no reverse DNS... or something like that.
>
>That's not TCP doing that as far as I know.  Even DNS is built
>on top of TCP and IP, and TCP knows nothing of it.
>
>However, a lot of email servers perform such a check to block some
>forms of malfeasance.  Possibly some other systems built on top of
>TCP do that as well.
>

>> Otherwise, TCP should work just fine.
>>
>>      Mika

Well, yeah, it's obviously not TCP itself---don't think anyone claimed as
much.  It's something about the Modula-3 code that wraps TCP socket code
making assumptions about the configuration of the host it's running on
(that that host is configured in a "reasonable way" for a workstation in
an industrial research lab, perhaps...)  I remember running into it a few
times and don't know if I (or anyone) ever fixed it in the distribution.

     Mika