[M3devel] Some M3 maintenance questions

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Thu Mar 5 15:58:05 CET 2015

On Sun, 01 Mar 2015 17:26:19 -0600
"Rodney M. Bates" <rodney_bates at lcwb.coop> wrote:

> I don't seem to have access to cm3-bugs.elegosoft.com, to update trac.
> I have asked michael? to give it to me.

OK. I spoke with Michael about you and M3 at Elego, but I haven't
seen an answer from him, so I don't know if he got back to you.

> >> 1) Olaf, are you intending to continue hosting the web pages?
> >
> > Elego can do still do that if no one else volunteers. I cannot
> > guarantee more that a couple of minutes administration time per
> > week though. We're rather short of ressources currently.
> >
> >> 2) How can I update these?  There appear to be copies of some/many of them
> >>      in the cm3 repository, but these are not served from there as web pages,
> >>      AFAIK,
[...]

> I can log in to birch.  Poking around, I find that
> birch.elego.de, modula3.elegosoft.com, hudson.modula3.com, and www.opencm3.net
> are the same machine.  I find I also have a password on this machine as well.  Is
> this the way you want it?  I had to supply it to do a dry run of ship-cm3-www.  It
> is doing rsync birch-to-birch, so I suppose I can generate a new key pair on birch
> to allow me to access the same machine would obviate needing this password.

Yes, it's all the same VM currently, but it will probably be migrated
to other servers and services separated.

Yes, you can install any new key you like there.

> > The shipping scripts can (could?) be found in the packages:
> >
> > ./work/cm3-ws/birch.elegosoft.com-2012-04-11-01-34-27/cm3/www/ship-cm3-www
> > ./work/cm3-ws/birch.elegosoft.com-2012-04-11-01-34-27/cm3/doc/ship-cm3-www-doc
>
> I also found copies of these is a number of places, most significanly,
>
> /home/m3/work/cm3-ws/birch.elegosoft.com-2012-08-27-02-27-31/cm3/...
>
> The scripts are the same, but presumably other stuff is more up-to-date here.
>
> There are a _lot_ of differences in this directory that are not shipped to the web
> directory.  I don't feel like shipping any of it without careful looking, to be
> sure it is what we want on the web.

Hm, I cannot really explain these offhand. Perhaps its best to ship
to a sibling directory and then do a diff -r -b -B old new.

> > I'm afraid that the Hudson installation on our server is out of order
> > for quiet a long time. I don't know of any adaptation even for the
> > source checkout from Github.
> >
> > I think some other public server should be used now for builds and
> > tests. The old scripts could be adapted, but most people prefer to
> > do these things in their own way. I used shell in 2010, but many
> > scripts have been rewritten in python after that.
>
> Does anybody have a server to suggest here?  I think a couple of my own machines
> would have enough storage, RAM, CPU, and possibly network capacity for the builds
> themselves if run only in overnight hours.  But I definitely do not have the
> networking capacity for the web pages.  This would be for on AMD64_LINUX, and maybe
> LINUXLIBC6.

I don't really know one offhand now. As far as I know Github does not
have it's own build service. But Mike has suggested that if you don't
find a suitable service, we can continue to host the CI server. But
he wants to abandon the old and outdated Hudson and install a current
Jenkins system. That would be much easier to maintain, too.

> > You could transfer these jobs to another Hudson or Jenkins system
> > (the config.xml files should suffice for that), adapt the source
> > checkout to the Github repository and try to get some builds
> > running. If you really plan to do that, I offer to help with
> > all the advice and knowledge I have by answering your questions.
>
> With some help, I could take this on.  I have looked briefly at hudson/jenkins.
> It looks like there is enough info there to get things going.

Look at Jenkins, this is the current free open source variant.

> The most daunting part for me is mediocre network access.  My latency has recently
> improved enough so that command-line character echo has gone from just about
> unusable to marginally usable.

That's annoying of course. Excuse my curiosity: where are you located?

Olaf
--
Olaf Wagner -- elego Software Solutions GmbH -- http://www.elegosoft.com
Geschäftsführer: Olaf Wagner | Sitz: Berlin