[M3devel] How to integrate llvm into cm3

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Fri May 22 02:57:07 CEST 2015

Imho "all" options should be implemented, for purposes of convenient debugging/development of the backends.

"external" is good for developing backends. You can "snapshot" the state of things
slightly into the pipeline and then just iterate on later parts.

At the cost of having all the serialization code.

"integrated" is usually preferable for performance, for users.

E.g. NTx86 backend has been sitting in there for decades unused by half the users.

Having extra backends sitting in there unused is ok.
Ideally, agreed, they'd be .dll/.sos if we can construct it that way, but ok either way imho.
Ideally also cm3 would dynamically link to libm3/m3core, but it doesn't.

Everything is demand paged so there is cost to distribute over the network
and copy around, but at runtime, the pages just sit mostly cold on disk.

One difficulty though is the need to have and build the LLVM code.
For that reason, delayload-dynamically-linked might be preferable.
It depends on how small/easy-to-build LLVM is.

 I guess LLVM provides more choices than before.
 In order of efficiency and inverse order of debuggability:
  1 We could construct LLVM IR in memory and run LLVM in-proc and write .o.
  2 We could write out LLVM bytes and run an executable.
  3 We could write out LLVM text and run an executable.

 > My personal preference would be to only have one default target statically compiled in
 It has never worked that away. Granted, we didn't really have backends before, just writing mainly IR.
 And I don't think LLVM works that way, does it?
 I like one compiler to have all targets and just select with a command line switch.
 I don't like how hard it is to acquire various cross-toolschains.
 Granted, we cheat and are incomplete -- you still need the next piece of the pipeline,
 be it LLVM or m3cc (which has one target), or a C compiler or assembler or linker or "libc.a".

 binutils at least has this "all" notion reasonably well working now I believe.

There are tradeoffs though. If only one backend has a bug, and they are all statically linked together, you have to update them all.And the largely wasted bloat.

Ultimately really, I'd like the C backend to output portable C and then just one C backend, one distribution .tar.gz for all targets.There is work to do there..not easy..and no progress lately.Things like INTEGER preserving flexibility in the output, and using sizeof(INTEGER) in expressions instead of using 4 or 8 and folding...

 - Jay