[M3devel] How to integrate llvm into cm3

Hendrik Boom hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Sat May 23 11:41:51 CEST 2015

On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 11:15:06AM -0500, Rodney M. Bates wrote:

> >Ideally also cm3 would dynamically link to libm3/m3core, but it doesn't.
> >

> >Everything is demand paged so there is cost to distribute over the network
> >and copy around, but at runtime, the pages just sit mostly cold on disk.
> >

> Hadn't thought of that.  It pretty well addresses my concerns about how much
> to link in.  We can just be extravagant and let the paging take care of it.

Doesn't the executable have to be copied from the binary file to paged
memory in order to run it?  As far as I know, it's possible to replace the
file being executed once execution has begun and it will just continue
running.

If this is true, the size of the llvm library might indicate it's best to
load it dynaically from a shared library if and when needed.

-- hendrik

> >One difficulty though is the need to have and build the LLVM code.
> >For that reason, delayload-dynamically-linked might be preferable.
> >It depends on how small/easy-to-build LLVM is.

in Linux, one can presumably rely on the distribution to provide the llvm
library.

-- hendrik