[M3devel] m3cgc1: fatal error: *** bad M3CG version stamp (0x100), expected 0x110

Olaf Wagner wagner at elego.de
Thu May 28 16:02:21 CEST 2015

On Thu, 28 May 2015 13:49:04 +0200
John Marino <adacore at marino.st> wrote:

> I got stuck again trying to build the latest on FreeBSD.
>
> 1. tar extracted to working directory along with a bootstrap compiler
> 2. CM3 and CM3_INSTALL defined in environment
> 3. executed scripts/python/upgrade.py
>
> result:
> http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~marino/m3.log
>
> I could guess that something is picking up a bootstrap component instead
> of a newly built one.  I guess it's trying to build the c backend?
>
> Am I doing some kind of obvious mistake?

No. I think upgrade.sh (or .py) cannot really cope with updating a 5.8.6
instance to the current state. It took me several days, too, on
MacOS X, and I had to do a lot of manual tweaking and copying
around. I don't think any casual user will understand the details
:-|

IMO the best thing we can do now is provide some more up-to-date
binary archives (I'll upload my own stuff as soon as I find the time).
A newer release has been missing for several years, and the existing
scripts are no great help for new users.

Olaf
--
Olaf Wagner -- elego Software Solutions GmbH -- http://www.elegosoft.com
Geschäftsführer: Olaf Wagner | Sitz: Berlin